Our new website is LIVE! Go to www.CHSKnightsBand.com
Update your calendar info. here from the Band's Charms calendar! There is no longer a calendar on this website.
Mr. Reid, Mr. Ehrlich and the band students are busily preparing for this year’s LGPE (Large Group Performance Evaluation) which is the equivalent of standardized testing for performance music.
Mark your calendar for the Pre-LGPE concert on Tuesday, February 13th, at 7 p.m. in the Centennial auditorium! Students should report at 6:30 p.m. dressed in concert attire (Chamber Winds to band room, Symphonic Band to auditorium stage, Wind Ensemble to auditorium seats).
All 3 bands will perform their LGPE pieces while other band professionals will evaluate the performances to provide Mr. Reid, Mr. Ehrlich and the students with feedback. They will then use this feedback to continue to prepare for the actual LGPE at Johns Creek H.S. (5575 State Bridge Road, Alpharetta 30022).
Thursday, March 8, 2018
8:20am – 5th period (Symphonic Band) depart for Johns Creek
9:30am – PERFORM
10:30am – Listen to bands
11:30pm – Depart for Centennial
12:00pm – Arrive at Centennial
Thursday, March 8, 2018
1:00pm – 2nd period (Chamber Winds) depart for Johns Creek
2:30pm – PERFORM
3:30pm – Listen to bands
4:30pm – Depart for Centennial
5:00pm – Arrive at Centennial (PARENTS PICK UP STUDENTS AT CHS)
Thursday, March 8, 2018
4:00pm – 4th period (Wind Ensemble) depart for Johns Creek
4:30pm – Arrive at Johns Creek
6:00pm – PERFORM
6:45pm – Sightreading
7:15pm – STUDENTS GET PICKED UP BY PARENTS AT JOHNS CREEK
Important Details on Transportation:
- Symphonic Band: Students and parent volunteers will ride buses to Johns Creek and then back to Centennial. At the end of the school day, students will go home as per usual (bus, car, etc.)
- Chamber Winds: Students and parent volunteers will ride buses to Johns Creek and then back to Centennial. Please realize that students must be picked up from Centennial at 5:00 p.m., since buses will no longer be operating at that time to take students home.
- Wind Ensemble: Students and parent volunteers will ride buses to Johns Creek, but there will be no bus transportation back to Centennial. Students must be picked up by parents at Johns Creek at 7:15 p.m. Parent volunteers, please also realize that you should make plans for a ride back to Centennial for both you and your child since your car will be at Centennial.
Permission Slips and Concert Attire:
Permission slips are available in the band room. Band students should bring their concert attire with them to school on the day of LGPE.
Parent Chaperones Needed:
All parents are welcome to watch the performances, and 4 parent chaperones are needed for each band. To volunteer, please email Ellen Rickles (firstname.lastname@example.org). In your email, state which band you would like to chaperone. Symphonic Band chaperones should arrive at Centennial by 7:50 a.m. Chamber Winds chaperones should arrive to Centennial by 12:30 p.m. Wind Ensemble chaperones should arrive to Centennial by 3:30 p.m. Thank you!
Band Placement Auditions
Band placement auditions will be Thursday, March 29th, 4:15 - 8:15 p.m.
Students will sign up for a time slot and do not need to stay at school for the full duration. Students will be notified when they can sign up during the school day.
This is required for all students: Freshmen through Juniors. Seniors will have an alternative assignment.
If students have a legitimate conflict, they should talk to Mr. Reid or Mr. Ehrlich.
concert band fees: Full Payment is due now!
Remember that we have created a page under the About Us tab above, titled Past Concert Programs. After each concert has passed, you can see those concert programs to view music pieces played, other included information and to print a hard copy if desired.
CONCERT BAND ATTIRE
If you need tuxedo alterations and purchased your tux prior to last school year (2016/17), Savvy Formalwear at North Point Mall will do this free of charge. If you purchased your tux last school year through Tuxedo Warehouse and need alterations or would like to use their trade-in program, please click here.
Questions: Contact Christy Lawrence
Chocolate Sale Fundraiser
- Permission slips to be signed by a parent will be in the band room on Friday, February 9th or click here for one.
- Chocolate boxes will be available for pick-up on Wednesday, February 14th, before school (assuming no delay in delivery). You must return your signed permission slip to receive your first box of chocolate.
- Sell your box as quickly as possible! Be smart – NEVER leave your chocolate or money unattended, even in the classroom.
- Return $60 for your box BEFORE SCHOOL from 8 - 8:15a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the band room and sign out another box to sell if you wish! Payment may be made in cash (bills only – NO COINS!) or checks (from parents only) payable to "CHS Band Boosters", with “Chocolate” in the memo line.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 as often as you want before March 23, 2018!
Questions: Contact Leslie Gibson at Lrg@tgc1.com
Schedule of rehearsals and competitions is posted on the Charms calendar.
WINTER GUARD'S FIRST COMPETITION
On Saturday, February 3rd, the Winter Guard participated in the first competition of the season at Alpharetta HS in the Scholastic Regional A Division. These students performed their show "The Queen" excellently. Stay tuned for information on the remaining four competitions of this season.
Jazz Band rehearsals are on most Tuesdays through May 8th from 3:45 - 5:15 p.m. (See Charms calendar for specific dates.) Mr. Reid is the director with guest jazz artists.
- Thursday, April 26th, 7 p.m. (Jazz/Percussion Concert in CHS auditorium)
- Wednesday, May 2nd, 7 p.m. (Celebration of the Arts at CHS)
- Saturday, May 12th, All Day (Cambridge Jazz Festival)
The participation fee is $80. Please pay by cash or check payable to "CHS Band Boosters" and place in an envelope labeled with student's name and jazz band. Then place the envelope in the drop box outside Mr. Reid's office. This fee will pay for guest artists, music and the jazz festival.
These sessions are held every Thursday from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. in the Centennial band room and are for any and all interested in percussion for next marching band season. No percussion experience necessary. Haynes and Holcomb Eighth Graders are very, very welcome!
band class and MARCHING BAND Section and senior pictures available
Band pictures that were taken in class in November, along with marching band section and senior pictures taken during band camp, are available from Legacy Studios. Follow these steps to view and purchase pictures:
Go to: LegacyStudios.com
Click on "Buy Pictures"
Choose "2016 - 2018 Pictures"
Enter online code: 6090B181
Choose "November 2017" gallery for pictures taken in band class or choose "August 2017" for marching band section and senior pictures
Click on thumbnail image
Look for the green "Buy Now" tag
Please note: In email exchanges with Legacy, they clarified that digital images are not sent on a CD; a downloadable file is offered. If you want to place a photograph order, please contact their Customer Service at 800-348-4360.
Help Wanted for 2018 Board & Committees!
The Band Board is looking for volunteers who would like to get involved in a different way. Some positions can be done from home with a computer, while others require feet on the ground. We will have the following committee positions available:
- Business Sponsorships (Recruit business sponsors for the Band) - Contact Amy Kennedy
- Mattress Sale (Coordinate mattress sale with mattress company) - Contact Amy Kennedy
- TAG Donation Days (Organize donation days) - Contact Amy Kennedy
- Public Relations (Submit articles to PTSA Eblast & local media outlets) - Contact Ellen Rickles
- Video Volunteers (We need several parents to video Band events using the Band's official video camera. If you are able to volunteer for one or several events, please contact Reed Wenger by email or at 770-656-2154.)
The Board would also gladly welcome any parents interested in sharing/shadowing the following Board positions with current officers. All but one of these volunteers have a rising senior so next year will be their last:
- Co-President - Contact Karen LeCates
- VP of Logistics - Contact Alan Marx
- VP of Ways & Means - Contact Amy Kennedy
- VP of Student Programs - Contact Stephanie Duffy
- Secretary - Contact Andrea Warren
Don't forget to sign up for amazonsmile! For details, please see the Fundraiser page.
- Tuesday, February 20
- Wednesday, February 21
- Thursday, February 22
- Friday, February 23
- Saturday, February 24
- Monday, February 26
- Tuesday, February 27
- Wednesday, February 28
- Thursday, March 1
- Friday, March 2
Follow us on Twitter!
Text "Follow @CHSKnightsBand" to 40404
We are so thankful to our sponsors for their generosity!
Charlton's Grill and Tap
950 North Point Drive
The Pediatric Place
David M. Bergman,
MD, MPH, FAAP
Lafferty Animal Clinic